slide code

Photo

renace
puertorriqueño, ña 1. adj. Natural de Puerto Rico, isla del Caribe.

respira

social media icons 2

encuentra

escríbenos

category 1

#caribeñas

category 2

diáspora

category 3

puerto rico

Entre dos mundos


Jennilee García Green

This year, 2017, marks a painful truth for me. I have lived in the United States longer than I have lived in Puerto Rico.
I was never the one to fit in growing up. When I lived in the US, I was the Latina/Hispanic/spic/Spanish/Mexican/etc. But when I was in PR I was the gringa. Never did I let any of that get to me. Friends were made in every state I lived in and when I went back home, my friends in PR greeted me with open arms.
I always made an effort to speak correctly both languages. Spanish because it is my parent's language, everyone says my accent is bien jíbaro, and English because I wanted to fit in and not be made fun of.
Family and friends say I have it easy here. A good job, great city, advanced technology, big airport, the list can keep going. I've been told that I don't need to bother with worrying about my island while I'm living in the US. Others call me vende patria. I understand where you're coming from but you need to understand me when I say I worry because I love you. I love Puerto Rico, it is my home and always will be no matter the time I spend away. The circumstances for me leaving were of opportunity and they have been a great life experience that I would never give up. I would like to think of my time apart as a long vacation. I cry every time I hear En Mi Viejo San Juan because that is a reality I do not want for myself:
Pero el tiempo pasó
y el destino burló
mi terrible nostalgia
y no pude volver
al San Juan que yo amé
pedacito de patria. Adiós...
2017 also marks the moment that Puerto Rico changed. A hurricane destroyed it and everyone tells me that the PR I knew and loved doesn't exist anymore. I would like to say to them, that it still exists. The Puerto Rico I love is in the people, it was in the culture and with the stories I hear from post hurricane Maria, it grows more and more.
Don't lose hope, the diaspora haven't. We keep fighting for you every step of the way. We are sending help any moment we can. We are spreading the word out about what is happening and we are letting your voices be heard, even though you think they aren't. 2017 may not be the best year for me or Puerto Rico but I will always look onward with hope.

Comentarios

LEE ESTAS HISTORIAS

Punta Santiago Humacao // Foto Diario
Me he tomado mi tiempo, pensando qué escribir.  Que palabras son adecuadas para acompañar estas foto…
#Caribeñas: Danila Vasallo
Pueblo de origen: Ponce  Ubicación actual: Toa Baja ●Facebook: Danila Vassallo ●Instagram: @dani_vassa…
#Caribeñas: Kayse Carreras
Lo más bello que tiene Kayse Marie Carreras  es su sinceridad y capacidad sin fin de hacernos sentir…
#004
Isla Mía, Quiero decirte que estoy en una calle irrelevante de Brooklyn y sólo pienso en tí.  Pien…